Yoga is an extremely good tool for both your mind and body. Even adding the smallest bit into your life can yield big results. Here are six moves that I love, that will help you de stress during these long winter months. These moves can be done in sequence with each other or anywhere, anytime. Just breath, relax, and fit it in!
1.Thread the Needle Pose- Thread the Needle is a shoulder-releasing yoga posture that is great for releasing tension. I looooove this pose! If you have stiffness and pain in your back, shoulders, or neck, this pose can provide relief! . The twisting motion also helps stretch and loosen the muscles in the low back.
2. Cat/Cow Pose – Cat-Cow is a gentle sequence of two poses that stretches and loosens the spine. Since it’s a breath synchronized movement, the flow from cat to cow has many powerful health benefits for the mind, body, and soul. Inhale on cat, exhale on cow, and enjoy all the wonderful feels!
3. Open Chest Pose-This pose helps to stretch your chest, open your heart, and melts away the tension in your shoulders. I think this pose is especially beneficial if you work on a computer, or do many movements in a day that involve forward hunched positions. In this day and age, we can definitely all use some shoulder opening in our lives!
4. Supine Pigeon Pose-Supine Pigeon is a relaxing but very effective hip opener. It also provides a release for the hamstrings, lower back. Other benefits of supine pigeon include: it can relieve sciatica or piriformis issues, it increases blood flow to the pelvis, and it improves digestion and circulation. This stretch is overall fabulous. You can deepen the stretch by drawing the knees closer to the chest
5. Supine Spinal Twist- Supine spinal twist is a yoga pose that helps in stretching the entire body. You will fell this stretch in your shoulders, chest, middle spine, hips, lower back, and upper back. Breathing into the stretch will help you feel a wonderful release of tension throughout your body. One major benefit of a supine spinal twist is that it helps in the detoxification of the internal organs of the body. Like you are a wet towel and the pose is literally wringing you out. Breath deeply and enjoy!
6. Legs Up The Wall Pose- Legs Up the Wall Pose is a restorative yoga posture that allows the mind and the body to relax, relieving stress and tension. The pose also gives you the benefits of an inversion without the hard work of more demanding poses, such as headstand or handstand. I truly feel this pose rejuvenates the whole body. I personally love it after a run!
I hope you enjoy these poses and that they leave you feeling refreshed and healthy! Give them a try and say thank you to yourself for helping rid your body of tension, one breathe at a time!
Much Love & Happy Stretching,