I wrote a blog recently on “5 Tips for Planning an Epic Vacation” and I realized I forgot one of my favorite planning tools! Instagram can be a very inspirational and useful tool when planning travel. I love Instagram. Today I’m going to tell you a little bit about the different ways you can use Instagram to plan a trip. I will be using Zion National Park for this example.
- Have your account, or set up your account. All you need is an email address to start signing up. I have two! One dedicated to my yoga practice, where I host monthly yoga challenges with Yoga Camp. My second is dedicated to my past travels, current daily adventures, motherhood, and whatever else I’m up to!Follow me at @minnesotayogini and @laceyexplores
- Us the search bar at the top of your page to search the name of the general area you are heading to begin to get ideas. This will generally connect you with all the big name companies, and the largest accounts set up promoting the area you are heading. While this may be a bit broader then your real trip, you may find an idea in the surrounding area you didn’t know about.
- Dig a little deeper and searching more specifics your trip. Begin connect with and follow pages that are specific to the area you are going.
- Use “Places” to search the geo tag of the actual area. This will share photos from any user who had geo tagged the location in their photos. This is a great way to connect to “real people” rather than companies, who have visited the area. Take the time to connect with these people! People who live in the area or are from the area give the best advice and know the best secret spots! So, find some people who have photos that interest you, and ask them some questions!
- Search Hashtags specific to where you are visiting and scroll through the photos to find amazing ideas! This is another great way to connect to locals!
So there you go! Its pretty simple once you get set up! You can lose yourself easily for hours on Instagram but it is a GREAT tool for travel planning! Try it out and let me know what you think! What gems has Instagram helped you find? I’d love to hear!
Much Love & Happy Travels,